Thursday, December 23, 2010

My History With Cosplay

A hobby of mine? Cosplay. No thinking required to figure out what to write about. Somehow, in just the past year, this one little hobby has become my life.

I first started cosplaying the Halloween of my freshman year of high school - over 5 years ago now. I was Edward Elric from Fullmetal Alchemist, my favorite character of all time both then and now. I admit it wasn't the best made cosplay, but it was fun and I loved it. I could BE Edward??? A novel concept to a 14 year old.

The following Halloween, I decided to be Tifa Lockhart from Final Fantasy VII. (The game, not the movie.) The costume was pretty well made, but the hair kind of failed. The Halloween after that, when I was Roxas, was the same. Great outfit, but the hair. (Later on I bought a really nice wig that puts the coat to shame.)

Somewhere along the line I went to my second con, Anime Expo, and made the cosplay that I would wear many, many years to come, Winry Rockbell. She was my first really good cosplay. Following that I made another outfit for her, two for Misa Amane, Yamada from B Gata H Kei, and redid my Edward cosplay. I also bought Haruhi Suzumiya (or Mikuru Asahina, depending on the hair), and more recently Rin Kagamine and Cloud Strife.

Seven or eight months ago - I don't know - I joined a cosplay group that a couple of my friends had started, Otaku Clan Diaries. That was what truly set my cosplay filled fate in stone. After that group's show, Not Quite Friends, had been up and running for awhile, I helped to form another cosplay group, now known as Dust Bunnies Productions. On top of all that, I'm running my own mini-show, Not Quite Somebody, and working on some of my own videos as well.

And that brings us to today, where I have 18 future cosplays on my list, and am cutting my hair in order to better affix wigs to myself. (And so I can be Roxas ALL the time :D.) My one little hobby grew into a huge obsession. And I'm loving every minute of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment